Electrotherapy is a gentle and non-invasive modality that works by stimulating nerves and muscles through the surface of the skin. It works in a variety of different ways:
- Send out electrical impulses that block or interfere with the body’s pain signals, leading to reduced pain.
- Help release endorphins (chemical messengers) that naturally decrease pain in the body.
- Stimulate muscle tissue to contract to reduce atrophy.
- Create a heating effect within the body, which improves circulation and stimulates healing.
- Stimulate cells which reduce inflammation, promote collagen production, and inhibit pain.